Dogs are man’s best friend, and there are scientific facts to prove so. Dogs have walked beside us for generations, acting as helpers,and companions and workers. Our society would not be the same without them. However, that doesn’t mean that we are privy to all of their secrets. Here are 10 dog facts you probably don’t know.
Dog Facts: The Top 10 Facts About Dogs
- There are a lot of smart dogs out there: Dog intelligence is hotly debated, and everyone has known a dog that is amazingly good-natured but amazingly dumb at the same time. But that definitely isn’t the standard and there is some evidence that certain dog breeds have the same level of intelligence as a two year old human child.
- Dogs can’t eat a lot of human foods: Most people know that dogs can’t eat chocolate… but grapes, raisins, avocado and cooked onions are also on the banned list. So don’t let your dog try your burger with onions and avocado slices at your next meal or it might mean a very expensive trip to the vet.
- Dogs have always been one of our favorite animals: Cave paintings in Spain that date back 12,000 years show images of dogs and are the oldest sign we have of people’s connection to this lovable species.
- Puppies are really cute: and completely helpless at birth? Mother dogs are famously protective of their young and for good reason. When puppies are born they are blind, deaf, can’t walk and have no teeth. Their mother is their only protection. No wonder mother dogs always look so stressed.
- Dogs are individuals: Like the human fingerprint, the print made by a dog’s nose is totally unique and could be used to identify the animal. How this was discovered is a question for another day.
- Your dog does not see in black and white: This is an old assumption and one that’s been mostly proven wrong. Dogs do have the structures in their eyes that allow them to see color. They do however have more limits on the ability to see color than humans do. This means that they might see less colors or see them quite differently, but they do see them.
- Dog urine does more than stink and leave stains: It also corrodes metal over time. Scientists have found that poles that are frequently urinated upon by male dogs become corroded and sometimes fall down. This is yet another argument why people should clean up after their pets.
- There are jobs just for dogs: This one seems obvious but there’s a surprising number of jobs that are only for dogs. From police work, to acting as therapy in hospitals, to assisting the disabled, to using their amazing sense of smell to detect disease, specially trained dogs are everywhere and helping humans in ever more amazing ways.
- Dangerous dogs: There are many dogs in the world that are categorized as dangerous to own and difficult to manage. First among these animals is the Akita, which is beautiful but thought of as so difficult that insurance companies charge their owners more for homeowner insurance. Consider the human that trained the dog…
- A Grumble: This is just an amazingly cute fact. A grumble is the name for a group of pug dogs. It really suits them too.
So that’s it, ten dog facts that you probably didn’t know. There are a lot more out there, proving that we don’t know as much about this lovable species as we think. Fortunately for us and them, it doesn’t seem to stop us from appreciating the loyalty and love-ability of this amazing species.
So there you have it, 10 things you might not have known about dogs. If you have anything to add please contact DDG and leave us a message. We’ll post your info here and blab about it on our DDG Facebook page.