Spring has finally found it’s way and with it is the chance to get outside and do some dog training. Dog Day Getaway staff has put together the best 5 tips for dog training that will make training fun. Let’s get into spring dog training!
Here are five tips on how to train your dog this spring:
To start, training a dog really isn’t that hard. It just takes little patience, stick-with-it attitude and these 5 simple tactics and you’ll have your dog trained this spring.
- Be sure there is only one main person in your home training your dog. Only one person in your household should be training the dog. Once the dog is skilled in answering the command, bring in a second or third person to get the dog to acknowledge the command is also coming from them and should be followed. If you have too many people trying to train the dog at once it can be rather confusing.
- Always use positive reinforcement techniques. Reward good behavior so that your dog understands that what they did, “in that moment”, was correct. If the dog cannot understand or follow your commands, never push as they may make mistakes. You need to consider how you’re presenting the training and could someone, even human, understand what you want? Training is also not going to happen in 1 session. So stick with it. Also, don’t scold your dog if they get something wrong, as well, don’t overdo it on the treats.
- Teach commands one at a time. It’s best to teach a dog one command and have them learn it well before going on to another command. Your dog will be confused if you try throwing multiple commands at them, especially if they aren’t well trained in either. Start with the basics (sit, heel, down), and build from there.
- Keep your voice friendly! Keeping your voice friendly when issuing commands helps the dog to follow your voice better than it is to holler and scream commands at them. A frightened dog will not train as well as a dog which is spoken to calmly.
- Train your dog in multiple locations. Your dog should know that a command given in any setting should be followed. If you only teach your dog in your home, they may not perceive that a command given at the park should be followed. So always pick a new place to train your dog, whether its a new dog park, walking down the street by your home or even at a neighbors house. This will help your dog assimilate that a command can be given anywhere..
Spring training can be tough, but it doesn’t have to be. It will totally be worth it to have your dog trained, and spring time is the best time to do it. If you need our help in walking your dog while at Dog Day Getaway, please speak with a staff member.