Minnesota is ranked seventh in the nation for cases of tick-borne diseases since 2004; and 2018 is poised to be a record year in Minnesota for flea and tick borne issues. Keep this in mind when walking your dog or having your dog walked. The handler must know what areas to avoid as well how to groom a dog when the walk is completed. Thankfully, Dog Day Getaway had professional dog walkers, and we know a thing or two about dogs…
What you need to know about Minnesota’s flea and tick problem
The severity of the upcoming flea and tick season will depend on heat and humidity. With tick numbers healthy going into a long but mild winter, expect more of a bite this summer.
Lyme is significantly more common in dogs than cats, symptoms include lameness and swollen joints, fever, lymph node enlargement, reduced appetite and lethargy.
Tips to get rid of fleas and ticks in your property
- The very first thing you need to do is check around your yard. Keep your grass mowed, bushes and trees trimmed. Keep any garbage (the weekly kind), and compost secured so that raccoons or opossum aren’t bringing pests to your property.
- Have your dog (or cat) treated monthly for fleas and ticks. Be sure to use tick/flea collars and check their date of expiry; you’ll want to use a current collar. Talk with your veterinarian about flea and tick treatment.
- Going out for a walk or to a St Paul dog park? As soon as your home from your walk brush your pet outside before going indoors. This will help to remove and ticks. You might also want to trim your pets hair (if long haired breed) for the summer. Not only will it keep them cooler, but may also help to catch a tick easier.
- Maintain the cleanliness of your home. Be positive that you’ve cleaned the area where your dog naps. Be doubly sure to vacuum weekly and hit all hidden areas where fleas could lay in wait. Clean the vacuum outside as fleas can lay eggs inside your vacuum ~gross! Wash your dogs bedding regularly. You can find some sprays that can help aid in repelling fleas. Be sure you choose one that your pet will not be allergic to (consult your vet).
- Treat a flea or tick infestation as soon as possible. Contact a licensed pest removal expert to do a professional job cleaning your home of fleas and ticks. Hiring a professional will save you time and have your home back to normal quickly.
Dog Day Getaway has an exceptional bathing area for your dog. Talk to a DDG team member or visit our Dog Bathing and Self Wash service section to find out more about bathing your dog and weekly specials.