Say hello to Desmond the May 2017 Dog of the Month at DDG. He is one handsome fellow and has an amazing personality to go with those looks. As well, he’s the only dog we know who ate a whole pound of cooked bacon, but was nice enough to leave his owner one slice….
Let’s Find out More About Desmond!
Dogs Name: His name is Desmond J Mayer
Age: Desmond is 4 and a half years old.
What is his breed? He is a Boxer and Great Pyrenees mix
Do you have any nicknames for him? As a pup it was “The Des-maniac”. Thankfully now its mostly just Des, Desi, etc. My parents also jokingly started calling him “The Prince” once he calmed down. That name has stuck as well.
How did you get his name? The foster family named him. The mom was a huge Beatles fan. He and his sister Molly, were named from the song lyrics in Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. I thought the name suited him and the lyrics were fitting (“life goes on”), as my beloved 13 year old Samoyed had very recently passed away.
We sure do miss that big white Taz too! He loved to talk, that’s for sure. Des had some big shoes to fill.
What is the most expensive item he has destroyed? Despite being bonkers as a puppy, he didn’t do major damage thanks to twice a week playing hard at daycare and burning off energy. He did manage to still sneak an occasional sock or shoe.
- His favorite place to be scratched? Under the chin or around his neck
- His favorite toy? The Kong Wobbler he loves to box and pounce on it to get treats.
- What about a favorite treat? Any type of meat of course.
- Does he have a “best” trick? We took a tricks class so he has a whole repertoire of crowd-pleasers. He can say prayers, crawl and “get em up”
- My personality is: He is multi-faceted. He is super sweet, goofy boy and likes to snuggle. He also thinks he needs to be a watch dog and act tough. He is a big boy so can be intimidating. Don’t tell anyone, but he acts tough because he is afraid of a lot of things like cats, thunder and school buses (city buses are OK since there not as loud).
- Does Desmond have a best friend? Stanly Starkman the Basset Hound. They have regular play dates in our fenced backyards.
- Dog Park? He prefers house parties over dog parks.
- Housemates? He is an only child and prefers it that way, but does love when grandma and grandpa visit.
- Naughtiest thing I have done? He ate a full pound of cooked bacon off the counter. Everyone knew mom was only mad because he devoured all but one piece before she caught him; and she was hungry. He as pay back earned a trip to the vet.
- Where did Desmond come from? Wag and Whiskers
- What is his favorite thing about DDG? He loves playing with friends and mom gets a guilt free lazy evening during the week. Mom also likes knowing its a comfortable and familiar place when she needs to board the big buy.
A huge thank you as always to the amazing KME photography for our monthly Dog of the Month photos.