When you are thinking about bringing a dog into your life, a rescue dog adoption is a great way of adding a new family member to your home. However, not all dogs are right for everyone, and many loving dogs end up in shelters across the world. A dog adoption helps make sure that you are the right owner for the dog and that the dog is right for your family. Here are the amazing benefits of adopting a rescue dog.
Rescue Dogs and Adoption Benefits
- You are Saving More than One Life : When a rescue dog is adopted, their spot opens up, which allows another dog the chance to enter the shelter. So, this gives both your dog and the new dog in the shelter a second chance at life.
- The Dog Could Be a Fully Trained Dog : If you have never owned a dog or are a novice dog owner, you may be worried about having to train a dog. Many dogs that are up for dog adoption have been trained and will have good manners. This can be important, especially if you do not have the time or the knowledge to do all the training yourself. There are some shelters that will take in puppies if you would prefer to have a younger dog that you can train.
- Lower Costs : When you take in rescue dogs, you will pay much less for the dog than buying a puppy from a mill or breeder. Your rescue dog will be vaccinated, spayed or neutered, and examined by the shelters vet before they are released to you. Many times, to have a dog spayed/neutered can cost from $100 to $190 and shot costs can quickly add up. Most shelter dog adoption fees are reason able at $50 to $300 depending on the dog and the shelter.
- More Choices : As sad as it is to say, there are thousands of rescue dogs that you can pick from. They can range from puppies to seniors and each has their own personality. There are also every breed and mixture that you can think about. Purebreds are about 30 percent of all rescues, and many have their paperwork stating this.
- They Will Be Grateful : All rescue dogs know that you are their second or even third chance at having a good life. They have seen the other side of life and will be grateful for everything that you give them. You are not only their new best friend; you are also the person that gave them a new chance at life.
A rescue dog (like Marlow the DDG Dog of the Month Dec 2016)is an excellent option for any family that is looking to own a dog. The cost of the dog adoption is most times much cheaper than a buying a puppy from a breeder or “puppy mill”. You are also allowed to spend time with the dog before the adoption to make sure that you are getting the right dog for your home and family. Be sure to bring the family to meet the dog you will be adopting, and be sure your home is ready for a dog.