Sitting back watching these dogs play all day at doggy daycare makes me wonder how much dogs are like humans. The way they sleep, play, relax and generally interact with each other and often care for each other makes them appear very much the way we interact socially. So the team at Dog Day Getaway has come up with 10 ways dogs are like humans, but we know there are probably more…
Dogs Are Like Humans: The DDG Top 10 List:
- Word Comprehension: Just like us, dogs can understand words. Although we understand 20,000-35,000 words and dogs understand roughly 165 words, there is a correlation between us and dogs. They may not be able to actually talk back to us, but it is nice to know that at least one of our companions is truly listening.
- Memories: We all have memories. Some of these memories are ones that we want to hold onto forever and others, maybe not so much. Did you know that dogs are capable of having memories, as well? It’s true! They remember some of the most loving moments they have shared with us, and maybe even some of the most embarrassing ones, too.
- Entertainment Enjoyment: Are you in need of someone to catch up on your latest show with? Just go right ahead and grab your furry companion. Dogs are able to watch television with us. Although, they may not understand everything in the show, they do pick up on small bits here and there. It sure is nice to crawl up and watch a good flick together, even if you can’t discuss all the details afterwards.
- Jealousy: You know those moments when you are super busy and your furry friend comes up and forces their head under your hand? What about when they sniff at you uncontrollably after you were around another friend’s pet? These are all signs of jealousy. Yes, they experience jealousy just like us! Although, we typically show our jealousy in a less invasive manner.
- Facial Recognition: Our dogs can understand our facial expressions. They can really look at our faces and tell if we are happy, sad, or even mad. And yes, they even can recognize that look of disappointment when they did something naughty.
- Empathy: Feeling down? Our family pets are able to express empathy. They can sense our feelings and share in those feelings. So when we are sad, they mourn with us. And when we are happy, they are joyful with us.
- Enjoyment and Playfulness: Naturally, dogs have a playful side to them. They have the ability to find enjoyment in things that are fun and exciting just like you and me. So, be sure to go to the park and play some ball. It is great fun for both us and them!
- Tone Recognition: Of course, we know that dogs can distinguish tones. We recognize this ability when they get in trouble and walk towards us with the eyes of guilt. But our furry friends don’t just distinguish tones of disappointment, they recognize tones of joy every time they do something good.
- Feelings of Rejection and Love: Dogs can also experience feelings of rejection and/or love. Have you ever met an abused or neglected dog? They typically express feelings of rejection and sadness, much like a human tends to when abused or neglected. But a dog that is loved and cared, like a human, seems to share a playful smile and a joyful personality.
- Ability to Form Friendships: Ultimately, dogs can form friendships just like us. They show their love for us every day when they joyfully run to the door when we arrive home or when they cuddle up next to us when we are feeling down. Above all, they exhibit loyalty for us and our family just as a real friend does.
This last bit of information, the ability to form friendships like humans is one of the main reasons we placed this post in Find a Friend. We hope you take a moment to watch your dog at play and see if their is a trait listed above that you see!