This is a play on the two ingredient dog treat with a Fall twist. The taste and colour of beets make these treats a beautiful burgundy color and of course are a healthy treat for your dog. Takes only minutes to make so let’s get to it!
Making Oatmeal and Beet Treats
Ingredients are simply Oatmeal and cooked beets. The hardest part about this recipe is peeling the skin from the beets. Much like a potato, beets will peel super easy, but also super messy. It’s a good idea to grab your marigolds for this one…
Of course, there’s no added preservatives, salt, sugar or chemicals… this dog biscuit recipe is simple and pure!
• About Oats for Dogs: Oats are a good source of fiber, making it great for dogs with irregular bowel. Oatmeal is also safe for dogs with wheat allergies.
• About Beets for Dogs: Beets are a healthy source of vitamin C, fiber, folate, manganese, and potassium and are good for your dog’s digestion and immune system as well as a healthy skin and coat.
1 large beet (roughly 2/3 cup)
1 1/2 Cup of Rolled Oats (Do not use instant oats, trust me…)
Steaming the Beets
- Peel and slice beet
- Add 2 inches of water to a pot and bring to a boil. You can also do this from cold starting water. Whichever you prefer.
- Add beet(s) and place basket in the steamer pot; steam at a rolling boil until the beets are tender; about 25 minutes.
- Remove from stove and let cool. You don’t want to dunk the beets in cool water as it will draw out the nutrients.
Making the Treats
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, take the cooled beet and mash until smooth. You can also use a food processor.
- Fold in the 1 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- Mash by hand using a fork
- Let sit for 30 minutes – what we’re doing is letting the oats soak up any moisture.
- Spoon out the mix, about 1/2 the size of a walnut, and flatten into a small cookie. Place on the cookie sheet staggering the treats at leas an inch apart.
- Bake for roughly 11-14 minutes. What we’re looking for is slight browning on the bottom of the treat.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool down for at least 30 minutes.
These dog biscuits are also great treats for the family. Gluten free, vegan and delicious. Let us know in the comments below if you’ve tried this recipe!