It’s that time of year when the Sweet Potato starts to come up in recipe sites and of course, in your social media feeds (whether you searched for them or not). The sweet potato, while delicious is not everyone’s favorite. Now then, there are a few variations of this sweet potato dog treat recipe, and naturally, we’re going to provide you with the easiest.
Sweet Potato Dog Treats Made Simple
There are two ways to make these sweet potato dog treats. The first is to dehydrate sliced sweet potato. But for this you’ll need to know how to time an oven on low, or have a dehydrator on hand. We’re going to opt for the baked method… here we go!
Let’s start with the ingredients. A majority of these will be on hand, especially if you have Thanksgiving leftovers:
INGREDIENTS USING LEFTOVERS
- 1 cooked Sweet potato (roughly a 1/2 pounder, makes 1 cups)
- 5 Pieces of dried bread
- 1/2 an Apple. Peeled and diced.
- 2 Eggs
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- If you already have a cooked sweet potato ready, you’ll need 1 cup of mashed sweet potato. Add the sweet potato to a food processor
- Peel, core and dice half an apple, any variety, add to food processor
- Add to the processor 2 pieces of the dried bread, crust and all
- Throw in one of the eggs to the processor.
- Add in the other 3 slices and the egg. Blend until you get a dough consistency. Depending on how much sweet potato, you might need to add in a slice of bread to firm up.
- Remove from food processor and roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a pizza cutter or bone shaped cookie cutter, make some treats!
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and place cookies at least an inch apart.
- Bake for roughly 30 to 35 minutes.
Be sure to let these sweet potato cookies cool before you give to your dog. NOTE: these can be given to humans as well…. just sayin.
INGREDIENTS WITH OFF THE SHELF PRODUCTS
- 1 Sweet potato (roughly a one-pounder)
- 2 1/2 Cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce
- 2 Eggs