Here at Dog Day Getaway doggy daycare, we see a lot of different breeds of dogs. Some unfamiliar, some mixed, some you can tell right off the leash what breed they are. There are a great many dog breeds out there that, unless you’re a trained dog expert, you may never have heard of. Let’s dive in and learn about 6 of the best breeds of unknown dogs.
Have you ever seen a Dachsund, or maybe a Jack Russel? You probably have. What about a Doberman? Sure you have! How about a Affenpinscher? No? Well, it’s one of many unfamiliar breeds of dogs roaming the Earth and though it has a funny name (to North Americans), it is a beautiful dog.
These are the 6 Dog Breeds You Must Know About Before Adopting:
- Affenpinscher: The smallest dog in the family that includes pinschers and schnauzers, the Affenpinscher is a toy dog with a good demeanor. These little guys are very intelligent and trainable and make wonderful family pets. They have a dark, wiry coat and are naturally affectionate towards humans.
- Anatolian Shepherd: The Anatolian Shepherd has a large frame and is considered to be quite courageous. These are strong and loyal dogs that see a good deal of use in the United States as military and hunting dogs.
- Basenji: The Basenji is a medium sized muscular dog that is also known as the African Barkless Dog. They never bark, but not because they are mute; apparently they just don’t want to. Basenjis were originally bred in Africa as hunting dogs. They do not naturally make good pets, but overcome their aversion to humans if they are handled consistently from an early age.
- Bouvier des Flandres: These small but sturdy dogs have the appearance of a sort of terrier. They usually have a dark rough coat and a generally calm manner. They were originally bred as herders in France and today are used in both police work and as guide dogs or assistance animals for the blind.
- Central Asian Ovtcharka: The Central Asian Ovtcharka is a large and muscular dog. It is known as loyal and fearless and has protective instincts that make it an excellent herder and watchdog. Typically they have their ears and tail docked at an early age.
- Polish Owczarek Nizinny: This guy is a medium sized shaggy dog with a long coat that covers its eyes. Loyal and devoted dogs, they make great pets as long as they won’t be left alone for long periods of time since they are known to cause trouble when unsupervised for too long.
So as you can see, some of our 4 legged pals descend from a long line of top tier (but sadly unpopular breeds). Considering adoption or purchasing a dog from a well known breeder? Consider one of the 6 unknown dog breeds we listed above!
Do you own one of these dog breeds? Please post a comment below and let other dog lovers know what it’s like living with a very special breed of dog.